Requisition ID: req24655
Job Title: Clinical Officer - Anesthetist
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kakuma, Kenya
The Clinical Officer Anesthetist is overall responsible for providing anesthetic management to all patients undergoing surgical procedures, both emergency and elective, at the IRC Kakuma Hospital.
- Formulate department objectives with the help of medical officer in charge of hospital.
- Ensure standard operating procedures, protocols and guidelines in management of patients are followed.
- Responsible for giving anesthesia to all emergency and elective cases conducted in theatre, both minor and major surgeries.
- Conduct peri-operative (pre and post) review of all patients within 24 hours.
- Supervise theatre staffs and ensure smooth running of theatre activities and procedures in addition to allocating the support staffs duties.
- Assist in management of very sick patients in the ward when called upon e.g. patients who need urgent resuscitation and intubation.
- Be part of the emergency trauma team and called upon in case of an accident with mass causalities.
- Attend and participate in the daily morning hospital hand over meetings.
- Participate in weekly continuous medical education (CME) at the hospital.
- Conduct on-job training of staff through both practical and theory sessions.
- Do theatre coverage and on-call, ensuring 24 hour coverage.
- Properly cover nights and weekends, arrange a rotation schedule with fellow clinical officer anesthetist.
- Perform routine clinical work as required by your supervisor.
- Participate in camp health surveys/campaigns/surgical camps as required.
- Keep complete and accurate inventory of medicines and supplies located at the theatre and monitor and supervise their usage.
- Ensure all medication equipment, supplies required for anesthesia are ordered in good time
- Ensure the anesthetic machine and operating table are well maintained and report any fault, need for repair or maintenance in good time
- Provide health talks to patients/clients on day to day basis
Reporting and Coordination:
- Ensure proper documentation of all anesthetic procedures, and condition of the patient including vital signs and medication given
- Submit weekly theatre reports to the HIS officer
- Compile and submit monthly theatre reports to the MO in charge of hospital on a timely basis.
Other Special Duties other than provision of Anesthesia:
- Attend to minor Surgical cases and procedures referred to theatre not attended to by the MO (Esophageal foreign body removal, Ear and nose foreign body removal, Circumcisions, Ganglions and Lipomas excisions).
Key result areas
- Ensure quality anesthetic management for all patients undergoing surgical interventions
- Ensure that universal precautions and infection prevention guidelines are adhered to
- Registered Clinical Officer Anesthetist with a Higher National Diploma (HND) in Anesthesia and Surgery from KMTC or recognized medical training institution
- Registered with the Clinical officers Council of Kenya
- At least 2 years’ experience as an Anesthetists in a busy hospital setup
Required Experience & Competencies:
- Good clinical and anesthetic skills
- Proven leadership, communication, interpersonal, decision making skills
- Good team player
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (English and Swahili)
- Computer literacy in the use of MS Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is required
- Ability to work and deliver results with minimum supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team player
- Experience of working in hardship area is an added advantage
- Cultural sensitivity.